Kitchens have always been a familiar gathering place in the home. However, in addition to attracting family and friends, common household pests often stake out the kitchen as their nesting grounds due to the abundance of food and hiding places.
Proven Pest Control reminds homeowners that it is typically this time of year many pests seek food and shelter inside homes, many pests, such as cockroaches, fruit flies, rodents and others can contaminate food, spread bacteria and increase grocery bills from having to replace ruined food.
“Keeping our kitchens clean may not be a foolproof way to prevent any and all pest infestations, but a few proactive steps can go a long way in ensuring the only visitors enjoying the food are those homeowners have invited,” noted Peter Cheung, Senior Technician for Proven Pest Control.
Proven Pest Control recommends the following preventative measures to ensure your kitchen, pantry and home remain pest free:
* Immediately wipe up any crumbs or spills from countertops, tables, floors and shelves.
* Store food in airtight containers, and dispose of garbage regularly in sealed receptacles.
* Only purchase food in sealed packages that show no sign of damage.
* Check expiration dates on baking ingredients before use.
* If you keep fresh fruit on the counter, check it often for signs of over-ripening or decay.
* Empty your bins regularly.
* Don’t let dirty dishes pile up and stand in the sink for long periods of time.
* Don’t leave pet food and water bowls out for long periods of time.
* Install door sweeps on exterior doors, and repair damaged screens.
* Eliminate all moisture sites, including leaking pipes and clogged drains.
* Seal cracks and crevices on the outside of the home and around the kitchen.
For great rates on pest control anywhere in the Penrith region.